We are long overdue for increases in long-term, dedicated funding for all modes of transportation throughout the state. With end-of-session negotiations underway and the May 22 adjournment fast approaching, Transportation Forward calls on Governor Dayton and legislative leaders to:
- At a minimum, provide sufficient funding to maintain current Metro Transit service levels and current fares.
- Do not set up barriers to the expansion of the metro area’s bus and rail transit systems.
- Treat everyone the same. Do not put restrictions on metro counties that are placed on no other county in Minnesota.
- Welcome the return of our tax dollars. Do not prevent the state, the Metropolitan Council, or local governments from securing federal money for transit projects and service.
- Fund greater Minnesota transit sufficiently to meet 100% of projected need.
- Establish a statewide active transportation – bicycling and walking – program with dedicated funding.
- Fund the Safe Routes to School program in the bonding bill.
- Defend the ability of the Twin Cities region to continue managing its growth and development by rejecting the proposed changes to the make-up of the Metropolitan Council.
Additionally, Transportation Forward urges the Governor and Legislature to:
- Strike language in the transportation bill and other bills that imperils the state’s eligibility to receive $47 million in funds from the Volkswagen emissions settlement.
- Delete language that would enact a new $75 per vehicle fee on electric vehicles (EVs).